Thursday, November 19, 2009

Who wants to teach me how to socialize?

Ok, so I know how to socialize. But when I'm put into a room full of people I don't know, I tend to get a little nervous. What makes this even more difficult is when you walk into that room and people have already formed conversation circles; how do you break into those?

I wonder if the talent of "working a room" is natural or learned.

The people who are talented in this area, seem to do it naturally. They appear to be in their element as they pass from conversation circle to conversation circle, joining each with ease.

Sometimes though, I think that watching someone work the room, is like watching someone act. They play a character, adjusting their mannerisms and speaking style as they go along. Does that mean they are less than genuine? Or do they just bring out different aspects of themselves depending on their audience?

Personally, I'm hoping that you can learn this talent. Maybe, just like so many other things in life, it just takes practice.

5 comments:

  1. The conversation circle is a tricky one to blend into. If you stand there too long and wait to contribute, it can look like your skulking. The easiest way is to offer a boisterous, "Hello!" It's much easier to get involved once you kind of announce yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm intimidated by rooms full of strangers who already know each other, too. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The answer - alcohol. It's a wonderful drug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen what tequila shots can do for Erika. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Confidence, confidence, confidence. Your not breaking into their circle, they are breaking into yours. Walk in there with your head held high and act like a T-Rex. If you have to, isolate the alpha dog in the room and either connect with them or kill them.

    ReplyDelete