Friday, October 2, 2009

Technology Addiction

Until very recently, I thought I was a person who could survive without technology. Well, let me tell you, that is apparently not the case.

It was a beautiful day at the end of August. I was intently applying makeup, getting ready for a night out. I was preoccupied with what I was going to be doing that night. It was a girls night out, and I was so excited. For many of my friends, prying them away from their boyfriends is tough. So this was a rare occurrence.

I'd just finished my makeup, which I'm ashamed to say took 45 mins, so it was time to start on the hair. As I turned to plug in my hair straightener, my lovely blackberry slipped off my makeup case, and fell directly into the toilet.

I was then faced with a very difficult decision, do i reach into the toilet to save my phone or do i save my dignity?

Well, of course the phone won. (Don't worry, I have since cleaned and sanitized it!)

Did you know, that if you get your phone wet, the ENTIRE warranty is void? Well I do now, so I was gonna have to come up with upwards of $700 to replace it, yikes!! But my dad with his advanced technological abilities took my phone apart, and dried it out with a hair dryer. Its now going strong.

But I was without my phone for an entire weekend. Is it even possible to exist today without your phone? How do you live without it, I certainly can't!

6 comments:

  1. I'm on the same boat as you sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no qualms about cell phones in general -- they are very useful in times of emergencies and can be extremely convenient. I just hate when people fetishize them or use them for the sake of showing off (that was a teaser for my editorial on Monday).

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I am on vacation, I don't use my phone and it's a weird feeling. I always carry it with me so it's weird!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to have a cellphone for a very long time but not now. I realized that I can live without it 'though that may change as time progresses. I may be one of thoe few who have to line-up to use the payphone or wait my time till I get home. Friends call my house and simply leave messages and that's the only time I can return their calls. Somehow, in this digital age, I can survive without a phone- but the question is, "for how long?"...I'm pretty sure that before I graduate from our CreComm program, I'll have my own Blackberry or IPhone. I will surely reward myself when I get there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so scary. I'd probably cry if I dropped my phone into water. Good for your dad for thinking so quickly!

    I'm kicking myself for not getting a BlackBerry when I changed service providers in January of this year (before I knew I was going to be an uber-wired CreCommer). I'm helpless without some form of instant communication facilitation (ICF?).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a new phone last summer and dropped it in mop water when i was using it at work when i shouldn't have been. I didn't know until then that the warranty was void either.

    Ever since then, I've had horrible luck with cellphones. I'm doing okay for now though. I heard that you can use rice (dry) to soak up the wetness of your phone. Not sure if it works though.

    ReplyDelete