Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Time Management

So not too long ago, I was sitting at home, stressing about how much homework I had to do. I think it took me a good hour to finish worrying about how I was going to get it all done before I actually started my work. And then, time started disappearing until I had to go to work. At which point, I started to stress again. That was probably two hours that day wasted; I could have gotten a lot done.

Why do we procrastinate so much? Personally, I think I have it down to a science. I've found that cleaning my apartment is an especially prominent procrastination technique. But, I do have many others, for example TV, I don't even watch this show, and I don't care about the content at all, but here I am mesmerized by the moving pictures. Then at the end of the night I wonder where all my time went.

I was inspired the other day to take a good hard look at my time management skills. I was at the University of Manitoba, interviewing Steve Kirby, the Director of Jazz studies when I realized there are a lot of people with more to do than me. He runs the Jazz program, is the editor of a magazine, runs extracurricular music activities, and has two children at home.

But when I asked him if he would have it any other way, he said "if you want something done, ask a busy man."

After thinking about this for a while, I realized It's very true. The busier you are, the more you get accomplished. If Steve Kirby can juggle all that is on his plate, I can examine my own life to find more time.

So I found, even with working 30 hours a week, going to school full time, cleaning, and visiting family and friends, I could still find a lot of time to get the homework done. You just have to do. Sit down at your computer, turn off the TV, turn off your phone, and "Just do it!"

4 comments:

  1. Hey, that would make a great tagline for an athletic wear company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mental note: do not comment on people’s blog after a Friday night. It sounds better in your head.

    Take-two:

    What I meant to say last time was that I have the same problem with procrastination. I can start writing something, but unless I feel that pressure to finish, it never gets done.
    As well, I find that spending time with family and friends helps relive my stress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right there with you, Erika. I'm my own queen of procrastination. My big tactic is to make lists (there's a reason why my blog is all about drafting lists). I make lists of things I need to do and somehow wasting time doing this makes me feel less guilty that I'm not actually doing them!

    ReplyDelete