Friday, January 29, 2010

Face to Face

From now on, I'm going to only talk to people in person. That is, when they are someone I don't know, and I want to interview them for a journalism story. It turns out that my voice on the phone is very easy to say no to. And it must be my voice, because I'm always polite and accommodating.

But, when I meet someone in person, they simply don't say no. It's like magic. A phone call is intrusive, but stopping someone on the street, in the cold, is welcomed. Why?

I've been writing this article, well trying to at least, and I'm not going to lie, I've been pretty stressed about it. Stressed because every time I called someone to set up an interview, they were too busy. And not only too busy that second, or even day, but the whole week!

Then today, out I was in the freezing cold trying to talk to people. By this time, I had given up on the phone. But to my delight, everyone was incredibly nice. They didn't only answer my questions, but did what they could to help me along in my story.

I really shouldn't have expected anything else, I mean, if it came to an unknown entity at the other side of the phone, or a smiling face in front of me, I'd choose face to face as well.

To be honest, this kind of gives me hope. In a world where everything is run by technology and the newest gadget, It's comforting to know that people still appreciate the human connection.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Erika,

    I agree with you that nothing beats a warm smile through face to face interaction.

    I was advised by K.Larsen (oh that guy!) to do a meet and greet with a lady for 5mins. Putting a face to a name or a voice is so much better. The impression you make is instantly ingrained in their memory.

    In a world where human interaction is limited, people tend to appreciate the little 'face' time they get :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we're all just a little stressed about our magazine articles! I can't seem to round up a second interview!

    Hope it turns out well.

    ReplyDelete